Your nervous system consists of your brain, spinal cord and nerves. Damage can cause problems with messages travelling between your brain and your body. This can result in loss of movement, sensation, co-ordination, tight or floppy muscles, spasm and tremor.
Neurological Physiotherapy is designed to help you make new pathways through repetitive actions and exercises. This can lead to a reduction in symptoms and an improvement in function like walking better or being able to use an arm more effectively. All the physiotherapists at Neuro Physio Scotland are Neurological Specialists with extensive experience and post-graduate training.
Your first session consists of a neurological assessment. This starts with a discussion about your condition, how it affects you and what you would like to achieve. This is followed by a physical examination to look at things like muscle stiffness, strength and co-ordination. Some time may then be spent analysing patterns of movement during functional tasks like standing up or walking.
The findings of the examination will then be discussed with you and used to formulate a treatment programme that is specifically tailored to your needs, expectations and goals. This will include an honest appraisal of what potential you have and the treatment options available.
We will also make you aware of any Rehabilitation Technology that could assist you in your goals.
The human body is a complex system that can adapt to learn new skills. Your bespoke treatment programme will be designed to encourage your body to respond in a different, more efficient way.
Treatments may include some of the following:
- Exercise therapy – Specific programmes can be provided to work on strength, balance, flexibility, co- ordination or cardio-vascular fitness. Often exercise can be integrated into daily activities so that you begin to adopt a healthier routine.
- Hands On Treatment – This can help teach you to move more normally or to mobilise stiff, tight tissues.
- Advice and support – Sometimes just knowing what you can safely do is enough to give you the confidence to regain control of your life.
- Walking (Gait) Analysis – We can use digital video recording to analyse your walking pattern and assess the effects of treatment.
- Hydrotherapy – Water is a great place to relax and stretch or to get muscles working. We can meet you in your local pool.
- Goal setting – To make the most out of your treatment, we need to understand your problems and your goals. This leads to a treatment plan that is individual to you. We can help you break down larger goals into smaller, more manageable ones. This approach ensures that we maximise your motivation. The power of motivation is a crucial factor in the success of rehabilitation.
Physiotherapy at Home – we can come to you. Please see our map of locations to see if we cover your area. Treatment at home can often be the most convenient and relevant environment for people with a neurological condition. It allows us to gain a good insight into any daily activities that you may be finding difficult.
Clinic appointments – available in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Contact us for more details.